Chris Benoit: Ten Years After - Reflection on a Tragedy

Image result for chris benoit
















Today marks ten years since perhaps the greatest tragedy in wrestling history (probably one of the saddest in American history too) when Benoit did what he did. There are conspiracies people use to mitigate the events that took place, with what little hearsay they possess and spin, but right now let me share a little story for you to contemplate that I have been ruminating on for a decade.

The Monday the news broke it was everywhere, but not all details were known, so WWE quickly put together a tribute show for RAW. I tuned in. They showed classic matches (no longer on the Network) and interviewed the shaken and confused roster. About 45 minutes to an hour in, the strangest thing happened: power went out for four blocks -- not the entire town or area, just this small section where I happened to reside. And it was a clear night, no storms or lightning. Summer that weekend had been humid, everybody using the AC, whatever. Regardless, the power stayed out through the night and I missed the bulk of the show. I never saw the rest of it and I doubt anybody ever will now. By morning, electricity was back and the full circumstances became publicized at that point. Consequently, the erasure of Chris Benoit's legacy began in earnest -- and rightly so.

What sticks with me to this day, and what's weird, is the way I lost power, the tiny area encompassed, and the fact RAW was cut off from my viewing so suddenly -- by chance or divine intervention -- before I knew everything. To me, spiritually, that's a big statement. That's the proof he did it. WWE scrubbing him from history was only a formality. A higher power already had that course of action in mind.

RIP Daniel and Nancy. Sorry, Chris, but New Jack said it best: "if there is a Heaven or Hell...I hope you catch the f*** on fire!"



One final item on Benoit that stays with me is Chavo Guerrero's chilling account of that weekend. It feels like an ultra-moody creepypasta and is deeply unsettling. It's below for you to listen to. Just remember I warned you.


Comments

Popular Posts